Disability Host Care
What is Host Care?
Disability Host Care involves the placement of a person with disability with a screened and assessed voluntary alternative family or carer.
This carer or family member will provide 24/7 care and support either in their own home or in the home of the person living with disability. Our Host Carers support the further development of the physical, social and emotional needs of people living with disability to help them live their best life.
Could You Be a Host Carer?
Life Without Barriers need long term, short term and weekend respite Host Carers to provide ongoing support to a young person or adult with disability.
Our Host Carers are considered to be, the “primary carers” to those people receiving our services. Full-time Host Carers are entitled to “respite” i.e. time away from their caring role. The objective in providing Host Care is to create a more stable environment for the person with disability.
A “Host Family” can take many forms, we know that every family is different. Host Carers can come from all walks of life, cultures and age groups. We understand each person has individual needs and we maintain a strong focus on enhancing and promoting the quality of the existing relationships between the person with disability and their natural family.
Role and Characteristics of a Host Carer
- Develop an open and trusting relationship with the person with a disability.
- Provide a nurturing environment to promote the individual’s self-esteem and emotional wellbeing.
- Facilitate activities that integrate the person with disability with their family, community and culture.
- Support the individual to participate in either school, vocational training, employment or day activities.
- Ensure the routine health and medical care of the person with a disability.
- Wraparound supports are routinely provided, matched to the needs of the person and may include respite and clinical support from a range of therapeutic disciplines.
- All Host Care placements receive case management or casework support to coordinate the different services involved in the placement.
Carers will receive a set reimbursement based on the service contract and intensity of need of the person with disability. This will be based on the contractual agreement with the relevant government department.
Want to Know More?
For further information about accessing our Disability Host Carer services or becoming a Host Carer:
- P: (08) 9208 3400
- E: CarerSupportWA@lwb.org.au