Disability Royal Commission
Life Without Barriers supports the Disability Royal Commission (DRC). We believe it is time for people with disability to be heard, and for these experiences to influence how we, as a nation, support people with disability.
NEW (11 August)
- Your Story Disability Legal Support [video]
- The DRC Connect Newsletter - Edition 9 is now available.
- Private sessions have resumed.
- The DRC has announced the upcoming hearings:
August 18-21: Public hearing, Sydney – Experiences of people with disability during the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic as at August 2020
Week of 21 September: Public hearing, Sydney – Psychotropic medication, behaviour support and behaviours of concern
Week of 12 October: Public hearing, Brisbane – Barriers experienced by students with disability in accessing and obtaining a safe, quality and inclusive school education and consequent life course impacts
Week of 16 November: Public hearing, Brisbane – Long term, including indefinite, detention and interactions with the criminal justice system experienced by people with disability
Week of 23 November: Public hearing, Brisbane – The experiences of First Nations people with disability and their families in contact with child protection systems
December Public hearing, Sydney – Training and education of health care professionals in relation to people with cognitive disability AND Systemic barriers in the pathways to employment for people with disability.
Please note, this calendar does not necessarily include all activities and engagements that the Royal Commission will undertake and is subject to change, including COVID-19 restrictions.
Latest updates from the Disability Royal Commission - Quick Links
- First Nations Peoples Strategic Advisory Group
- Disability Royal Commission and COVID-19
- Share your story – make a submission*
- Public hearing information
*please see the info-graphic below.
- Read how Life Without Barriers can support people using our services to engage with the DRC.
- Easy English information about how Life Without Barriers can support you to engage with the DRC.
- Read our full statement supporting the call for the DRC here.
If you need support through any difficult feelings you might be having because of the Royal Commission, you can contact Blue Knot Foundation national hotline on 1800 421 468 (9am - 6pm AEDT Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm AEDT Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.
If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, call the National Relay Service on 133 677 and give 02 6146 1468 as the number you want to call.
To contact Life Without Barriers about the Royal Commission email email@example.com or call (02) 4033 4500.
You can also write to us at Life Without Barriers:
Disability Royal Commission support
PO Box 2226
Dangar NSW 2309