Disability Royal Commission
Life Without Barriers supports the Disability Royal Commission (DRC). We believe it is time for people with disability to be heard, and for these experiences to influence how we as a nation support people with disability.
NEW – The Royal Commission has issued a Statement of Concern about the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on people with disability.
NEW - The DRC is calling on all Australian governments to ensure that responses to COVID-19 include dedicated strategies and take all necessary measures to protect and support people with disability. The DRC has suspended all public hearings and gatherings, due to concerns about the spread of COVID-19.
- Community engagements and face to face private sessions have also been suspended for the time being.
- For more information about the decision to postpone public events, read their media release.
- The Disability Royal Commission has released a first report on progress of the Commission and its activity. Available here.
- The Disability Royal Commission has released an issues paper on healthcare for people with disability available here.
- The Royal Commission into Abuse, Violence, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability has released an Accessibility Strategy you can access here.
- Access a series of Questions and Answers by the Disability Royal Commission here.
- If you have questions about the Disability Royal Commission, access the official website here.
- If you need support through any difficult feelings you might be having because of the Royal Commission, you can contact Blue Knot Foundation. They offer free, specialist counselling support and a referral service for people with disability, their families and carers, and anyone affected by the Disability Royal Commission:
- Call Blue Knot Foundation’s national hotline on 1800 421 468 (9am - 6pm AEDT Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm AEDT Saturday, Sunday and public holidays).
- If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, call the National Relay Service on 133 677 and give 02 6146 1468 as the number you want to call.
To contact Life Without Barriers about the Royal Commission email email@example.com or call (02) 4033 4500.
Read our full statement supporting the call for the Disability Royal Commission here.
You can also write to us at Life Without Barriers:
Disability Royal Commission support
PO Box 2226
Dangar NSW 2309