Disability Royal Commission
Life Without Barriers supports the Disability Royal Commission (DRC). We believe it is time for people with disability to be heard, and for these experiences to influence how we, as a nation, support people with disability.
DRC has suspended all public hearings and gatherings, due to concerns about the spread of COVID-19.
NEW (12-28 May)
- The DRC is seeking information about the use of restrictive practices on people with disability. (26 May)
- The Chair, Ronald Sackville AO QC, has released a statement regarding the death of Ms Ann Marie Smith in Adelaide. (20 May)
- The DRC into has published a paper which explores the experiences of people with disability in relation to employment. (12 May)
- The DRC has issued a Statement of Concern about the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on people with disability.
Updates from the Disability Royal Commission - Quick Links
- The DRC has published an issues paper exploring the awareness and understanding rights of people with disability. (28 April)
- The DRC is seeking information (by 17 July 2020) about the experiences of people with disability during recent emergencies in Australia. The Emergency Planning and Response Issues Paper seeks feedback about what can be done to improve the safety and wellbeing of people with disability during similar emergencies in the future. (15 April)
- For more information about the decision to postpone public events, read their media release.
- The DRC has released a first report on progress of the Commission and its activity here.
- The DRC Accessibility Strategy is here.
- If you have questions about the Disability Royal Commission, access the official website here.
If you need support through any difficult feelings you might be having because of the Royal Commission, you can contact Blue Knot Foundation national hotline on 1800 421 468 (9am - 6pm AEDT Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm AEDT Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.
If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, call the National Relay Service on 133 677 and give 02 6146 1468 as the number you want to call.
To contact Life Without Barriers about the Royal Commission email email@example.com or call (02) 4033 4500.
Read how Life Without Barriers can support people using our services to engage with the DRC.
Read our full statement supporting the call for the DRC here.
You can also write to us at Life Without Barriers:
Disability Royal Commission support
PO Box 2226
Dangar NSW 2309