Disability Royal Commission
Life Without Barriers supports the Disability Royal Commission. We believe it is time for people with disability to be heard, and for these experiences to influence how we as a nation support people with disability.
Read our full statement supporting the call for the Disability Royal Commission here.
NEW -The Disability Royal Commission has announced Community Forums taking place in Hobart (morning and evening sessions available). Find out more here:
- Hobart – Community Forum (morning) – 26 November, 2019
- Hobart – Community Forum (evening) – 26 November, 2019
NEW - The Disability Royal Commission has announced it will hold a public hearing in Melbourne from 2 December to 6 December 2019
The public hearing is focusing on the homes and living experiences of people with disability in Victoria, including people who have lived or who are now living in group homes in Victoria.
Some things the public hearing will explore:
- the right of people with disability to choose where they live and who they live with
- how group homes have affected the accommodation options and experiences of people with disability in Victoria
- the causes of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation against people with disability who live in group homes
- how effective laws, policies and government agencies are in protecting residents of group homes with disability from violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation
- social inclusion options for living independently and alternatives to group homes.
- The Royal Commission into Abuse, Violence, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability has recently released an Accessibility Strategy you can access here.
- Access a series of Questions and Answers by the Disability Royal Commission here.
- If you have questions about the Disability Royal Commission, access the official website here.
To contact Life Without Barriers about the Royal Commission email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 4033 4500.
You can also write to us at Life Without Barriers:
Disability Royal Commission support
PO Box 2226
Dangar NSW 2309